Charlotte seems to have had a run of bad luck with illness in the last couple of months. First it was a double ear infection with tonsillitis, and then she had a nasty infected nailbed, that required some pretty strong antibiotics. The last round of sickness, was actually associated with the antibiotics prescribed for the finger. I was warned by the pharmacist that Charlotte may have an upset stomach from these particular antibiotics, but after 7 days of multiple completely liquid poos a day (sorry for the graphics), I figured this was more than a drug side effect or Gastro. So back to the doctor we go. I was only seconds into explaining that she had been on the antibiotics and describing her symptoms to the doc when she said she thought it was a bug called Clostridium, and could I get a stool sample??? I had never heard of this bug, but apparently it occurs when strong antibiotics strip the gastrointestinal system of all of the bacteria, both good and bad. The doctor went on to inform me that her own 20 month old daughter had had it for 3 MONTHS!!! Aaaarrrghhhh!
Whilst we are waiting on the results of the stool sample she is to be on a completely dairy and fructose (fruit) free diet. Two of her favourite food groups, I might add. Try telling a nearly 3 year old that "No you can't have milk, or icecream, or a banana (her favourite), or even an apple". Apparently dairy and fruit only aggravate the problem. She has been living on noodles/pasts, potatoes, vegemite toast and plain crackers. Boring!!
But she has been a trooper. Poor bugger has had to go back into Nappies full time after a series of accidents and us having to change the bed clothes at llpm at night on a couple of occasions. Needless to say the whole thing has thrown out the toilet training completely. My only hope is that we can get it back on track before the new bub arrives!! (Although, she will probably go backwards a bit anyway with such a big upheaval!).
So hopefully the results of the tests will be back early this week, and if it is in fact this Clostridium then she will have to have another round of antibiotics to knock it on the head. I am unsure of how contagious the bug is, so have taken all precautions and we have stayed home all week. She has missed out on a couple of end of year/Christmas parties which is a shame, but she couldn't have eaten anything anyway! I am only hoping that she will back to a normal diet before Christmas Day, or like me she will be really restricted on what she can have! (No prawns, ham or cold meats for me this year!!!).
Anyway, all is going well otherwise. I am 30 weeks pregnant now, so on the downhill run. I am feeling really good. No aches and pains as yet. A little tired by the end of the day, but my last lot of blood test showed low iron levels, so I am on a tonic for it now and hopefully it will improve. My midwife is more than happy with my progress. It is wonderful that she comes to our house for all my check ups, as it is far less stressful than sitting in a waiting room with a million other women at the doctor's office. She comes and has a cuppa with Brett and I and we talk about labour and birth, she checks my blood pressure and has a feel of the baby, and then we chat some more. It is just so relaxed. Sooooo different from my antenatal visits with my doctor when I was pregnant with Charlie.
We are taking it pretty easy over Christmas as Brett is saving up his leave for the new arrival, so apart from Christmas Day itself we will be sticking close to home. We have booked tickets to see John Butler Trio and The Waifs down at a winery in Margaret River for the day after Australia Day. I will be 36 weeks by then, and Brett thinks I am mad. But it is an outdoor concert where I can walk (or dance) around with Charlotte. I won't be confined to a seat in a theatre and worst case scenario, if I am not up for it, I'm sure I can offload the tickets. I just wanted one last day out as just the three of us, before our little one makes it's entrance.
Anyway, there is my catch up for this week. So much for my grand plans to take a photo, and hopefully blog most days of December. Only so many photos of Charlotte doing craft/drawing that I can take. Oh well...
Hope you are all well,
Love Cass xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment